Being dirty has never been this much fun!

Visit The Seattle Soap Shop at www.seattlesoapshop.com

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

THE IMPORTANCE OF EMBEDDING SOAP CAREFULLY



Making soap can be a lot of fun. There are a ton of things you can do to your soap to make it more interesting. From colors, to scents, to swirling techniques, and adding other, premade soap shapes (also called embedding), the combinations are endless.

One of the fall favorites I enjoy making is an Orange Clove Soap. Orange Clove is a lovely spiced soap with a hint of citrus. I color it with Celestial Colors Orange dye and embed dark brown soap shavings on the bottom that I colored with cocoa powder. The soap is scented with a fragrance oil appropriately named, Orange Clove.

One thing I learned recently after cutting into a freshly made batch of Orange Clove Soap is: how I add inserts to the bottom of my soap mold is important! I used to just add them quickly and pour the fresh soap on top, but not anymore! 

As you can see, improperly placed embeds can produce interesting results. Whoops!
Unintentional Design in an Orange Clove Soap

You may find the resulting 666 pattern funny (it is Halloween, after all!) or offensive (sorry!) but either way, it wasn’t exactly the look I was going for. Lesson learned.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment